HARRISBURG — Speaker Mike Turzai (R-Allegheny) and Rep. Lori Mizgorski (R-Allegheny) announced today that the School Safety and Security Committee has awarded $53.7 million in School Safety and Security Grants to school districts, vocational schools, intermediate units and charter schools across the state, including Pine-Richland School District, North Allegheny School District, Hampton Township School District, Shaler Area School District and Fox Chapel Area School District.
“A safe and secure learning environment is vital for educating our students,” said Turzai. “I am excited to share that every school district within Rep. Mizgorski’s and my legislative districts has received a school safety grant, including our shared Pine-Richland School District.”
“This is great news for our districts,” said Mizgorski. “As a parent and a legislator, it is important that we are doing everything in our power to keep our students and teachers safe and these grants are a good starting point.”
Those receiving grants locally are:
• North Allegheny School District - $45,000 for security and planning and purchase of security-related technology.
• Pine-Richland School District - $45,000 for security planning and purchase of security-related technology.
• Hampton Township School District - $40,000 for security planning, staff training and equipment.
• Shaler Area School District - $45,000 for security planning and purchase of security-related technology.
• Fox Chapel Area School District - $45,000 for security planning and purchase of security-related technology.
The School Safety and Security Committee is 17-member committee within the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency which was created as part of Act 44 of 2018
, a comprehensive school safety law passed in 2018. One of its duties is to help distribute both meritorious and competitive grants.
Representative Mike Turzai
Speaker of the House
Representative Lori Mizgorski
30th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Neal Lesher
717.260.6495 (office) 717.507.9240 (cell)